Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Spotlight On: A Scarf #worthwearing by Indigenous


     Following Kelsey Timmerman's suggestion of wearing "one story a day",  I'm sharing a recent outfit of the day.  This scarf, sent to me by Fair Trade USA Certified eco-fashion company, Indigenous as part of their #worthwearing campaign, is made of 100% organic cotton.  I love the rich red-wine color (called Zin) and the funky fringe makes it a unique item in my closet. 

http://instagram.com/p/SEvqbXlMBC/

     Over the weekend, I had to run a bunch of errands including dropping off eBay items at the post office, grocery shopping, picking up lunch for my family, and Christmas shopping.  I paired the scarf with jeans and a white tee during my trek around town.  Luckily, the weather here in Vegas is pretty mild during the day so I was able to make it more of a fun, off-the-shoulder accessory.

http://instagram.com/p/TAPeaLFMKB/

Tassel Scarf c/o Indigenous, Tee Shirt by James Perse, Forever Skinny jeans by Jessica Simpson, Cally Moccasins by Minnetonka, Hawthorne Wallet by Hayden-Harnett

     The scarf also looks really great worn around the neck for warmth!  It's also very comfy and warm - I wish I had this scarf during those frigid Chicago winters in college.  I'd probably pair it with my favorite leather jacket and black booties in the evening, for something warmer and dressier. 

     Each garment produced by Indigenous comes with a QR code on the tag.  This QR code can be scanned to find out more about the origin of the garment.  The tag on my scarf took me to this page:  http://www.fairtracetool.com/profile/innercityopportunity/.  I learned about Berta, an artisan in Peru who assures that my garment is made by workers who enjoy their job.  She loves design and is truly an artist, as simply producing isn't enough.  I really appreciate how Indigenous keeps the consumer connected to the producer.

Tags on my Tassel Scarf

     As I discussed in my last post, being Fair Trade USA Certified is a big deal since it requires both a monetary commitment, commitment to rigorous standards, and testing of ethical commitment.  The retail price of this scarf is more than some comparable looking scarves, but being 100% organic cotton makes it more comfortable and longer lasting than an acrylic or other synthetic scarf.  The price is about the same as scarves of similar material, but the clear commitment to using organic and cruelty free fabrics as well as fair trade practices make it #worthwearing to me.  

     Indigenous also makes luxe sweaters and coats made from cruelty free alpaca wool.  Learn more about why they choose alpaca wool from Christie at icanstyleu.  Check out the Indigenous website for more information and to shop their products - they are having a 30% off sale with guaranteed Christmas delivery if you order by December 19 and use promotional code "GIFT30" at checkout!  

No comments:

Post a Comment